Lets just stand in a circle around our shoes and our pocket books and lets just dance!
So, Laura and I started taking dance classes at United Rhythms a couple months ago. Needless to say, we. Are. Obsessed! I’ve always loved dancing. Growing up I wanted to be a singer (the raspy Amy Winehouse/rocker Gwen Stefani type) and a dancer despite never have taken a dance class or voice lesson in my life.
I did cheer-leading for years and dancing was always my favorite part. I mean c’mon, who doesn’t love to shake it? You might think you don’t know how to, or maybe you’re too embarrassed to dance, but I swear it does something to the brain that won’t allow you to be anything but happy while doing it.
It’s an art, it’s an aesthetic arrangement of movement, and it is fun as hell. Probably one of the best therapies out there, right up there with shopping, music, and a couple boozy drinks. Not to mention a fantastic workout! I don’t think I’ve left a class sans a sweat soaked shirt and soaking wet hair.
Now, most people with zero experience would start in a beginners class. But noooo, not us. We dove head first into the deep end. Not only have these people been dancing for years, if not their whole lives, but many of the people in our classes are dance teachers at the school…or as I like to call them Usher’s backup dancers on break from tour.
Like, are these people in J-lo videos? They’re that amazeballs. Meanwhile I’m in the corner trying to master a 360 turn without my equilibrium getting thrown off and loosing my footing!
I don’t even care.
Dance is THAT good for my soul.
Here are 5 very important things to remember if you’re thinking about picking up a class:
- Invest in a good pair of knee pads.
- Don’t forget your water or you’ll hate life.
- Pay attention. And if you zone out in an ADD oblivion and miss a step, like I’ve done a time or 2, don’t be afraid to ask questions to clarify whatever you’re messing up.
- Wear cute, comfy dance-y clothes, it makes you feel stronger and fiercer.
- There is no such thing as “I can’t dance.” Everyone can dance, in different ways, in their own style. Moving to whatever beat you hear, and giving it your best effort, is all it takes in order to have a wonderful and fullfilling time dancing in a class like ours.